Bolt Fans. I know some of you have been clamoring for more Bolt information…the lack of a weekly ANALYSIS has been hard for you. I understand and sympathize...and that is why I have put out this rare pre-season edition for you. I normally try to stay out of the preseason ANALYSIS game. So much is still in flux…so many players are rested and kept out…so much of the news is dripping with unfounded optimism. But, I feel it is time to provide a sense of what we should expect this coming season.
Three preseason games and a bunch of practices are in the books. When last we spoke, I provide you with a list of the Chargers’ free agency acquisitions and losses as well as a couple of “pendings”. The pendings at that time included Malcom Floyd and Stephen Cooper. It seemed clear that both would leave for greener pastures…but a funny thing happened. Malcom did not get the offers he expected and Cooper did not get any offers at all. Both players re-signed….Cooper for the League minimum. This is a good thing. Floyd is a good receiver who makes plays. Period. He is not an all star, but he has a good rapport with Rivers and it is good to have him back. Cooper is a good guy to bring back…he knows the defense…and he adds depth and leadership to our young linebacker corps. Unfortunately, Cooper tore a biceps muscle in his first preseason game. He is going to try to give it a go…but a linebacker with a ripped arm muscle is not a good deal. The Chargers must cut down from 80 players to 53 by the end of this coming weekend. I’ve got to believe Cooper won’t last through that cut.
So, what have we learned through the last month or so. First off, there has been a lot of optimism…and that can only be a good thing. Unlike last year, where the holdouts of VJ and McNeil were front page news and the negativity was palpable…this year it has been filled with good vibes. “We like our team”, “we like him”, “we like them”, “we like each other”…seem to be the most popular quotes from Norv and AJ. Second, there has been no drama with draft picks not signing. A good thing. Third, there have been no off-field antics (yet). Any moment the other shoe could drop on that one…with some jackass driving drunk again. But so far…..so good.
So how have we played? Well, again, never want to get too high or too low in preseason. A close loss to the Seahawks has been followed by a win in Dallas and a last second win against Arizona. In a nutshell, my assessment is that our offense looks good and our defense needs work. In terms of the offense, it was great to see Gates, Jackson, and Floyd on the field together last game. First time in quite awhile. If they can all stay healthy…our team will score points. Add to this mix some impressive plays by young guys Richard Goodman and Bryan Walters and we have a good competition going at receiver. Keep in mind Patrick Crayton has not even played and we are just now seeing rookie Vincent Brown. Randy McMichael has looked outstanding as a back-up tight end so we are solid here. Philip has played very well and he has gotten good pass protection…the line looks solid. Now, our running back situation is another matter. I am a fan of Ryan Mathews…I think he has shown a mix of speed, power and balance that will make him a good back in the League. However, he is still running with low confidence and just still looks like a rookie. He fumbled again last game…he came into camp out of shape…he has nursed injuries and missed time. I am concerned about this kid. Mike Tolbert is a great guy to have on your team and he tries hard and runs harder. But, he is best used as a change of pace back. After they are tired out from chasing Mathews around…you bring in Tolbert to beat the stuffing out of them. Tolbert should not be the #1 option. I am hoping that Ryan gets confident and gets out of his own way because he really is spotty right now. To be fair, the line is not blocking well for him right now, but he just needs to show that confidence and hit the hole. Watch him closely in the opener…if he struggles early and drops the ball….we may have some problems. No Sproles, so if Mathews cannot hack it we are looking at a whole lot of Tolbert. Not a bad thing…but not optimal.
Let’s talk about the defense. First, the good stuff. Without question, a highlight of the preseason has been the play of first round draft pick Corey Luiget. He is big, fast, mean, and disruptive. I really like what I see. Add to some other improved players on our D-line (Vaughn Martin and Castillo) and I am optimistic here. Other than that, we have been spotty…mainly because we have had very few linebackers to throw in there. Undrafted rookie Daryll Gamble out of Georgia has been awesome. He has filled in and played entire games in the preseason and always been around the play. Those are guys you just need to find a spot for. We have not seen Shawn Phillips, Larry English, or Travis Laboy enough to have an opinion. Our young linebacker Donald Butler has looked good in #56, not quite making us forget Merriman…but he looks solid. Also, Antwan Barnes was a wrecking crew against the Cardinals…he is so fast off the end. But, he needs to be in a rotation to be effective so we need the other three guys back. In terms of the secondary…I will give them an “adequate” for now. Weddle looks good, Jammer looks good. Bob Sanders has been playing at what looks reduced speed to avoid an injury (hope that is the case). Cason has looked iffy, but he is also playing with a massive club on his hand and could not catch a beach ball or tackle his grandma with that thing. Slot corner Dante Hughes has looked OK. My biggest concern has been the same old bugaboo…tackling, toughness, and an inability to stop teams on third down. We won’t know much until the real games start but I think there have been signs that we will be a better overall defense…assuming we can get our linebackers back.
Special teams have looked much better…how could they not? Kicking game looks good, coverage has been good.
So, what is the prognosis? The final preseason game is really just a glorified tryout for who will make the team as a backup. The real work is done. The opener against Minnesota at home on September 11 is the only real indicator. But, the ANALYSIS is not the ANALYSIS for nothing. Here is my take: I feel we are a deeper, better team this year. Our losses were startlingly minimal in the offseason. That being the case, this is truly the year that will tell us if this group of Chargers has what it takes. For those who think last year was an aberration…all the turnovers, special teams gaffes, mistakes, penalties, and injuries. This is a chance for redemption. Because really, this is the same team. I am one of those who believe, perhaps foolishly, that last year was an aberration. I think we have the players to make a deep run….and I have felt this way since 2006. I like the off-season acquisitions. I like the fact that our locker room seems in sync. I like the new defensive coordinator and special teams coach. I like the depth.
If you are one of those who believes the Bolts will never win with Norv as coach…with AJ as GM and with a defense that lacks toughness…I am not going to argue with you. This is probably where the smart money lies this year…in another near miss. But, Sport is not about the smart money. If it was, I would be living in Vegas and not working on my Pension right now. As we have learned so painfully the past few years, Sport is just as much about psychology. So, despite a tough schedule I believe we do get back to the playoffs this year. From there, will we finally have the “Eureka!” moment? Will we finally find the right mix? Will the ball bounce the right way? Will Marlon McCree hold on to that interception? Will Nate Kaeding make that playoff field goal? Will we stop that 4th quarter drive? Followers, that is why we watch the games. Enjoy the season opener…I will see you on September 12.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.