There is not much to say today.
The fact that the Chargers game was blacked out was obviously a good thing. The
game was so bad, even the Red Zone Channel did not waste much time on it. So,
it must be said that this week’s ANALYSIS is not really coming from a
first-hand account. But, you know all you need to know about our team.
Normally, when a team is doing poorly or coming to the end of a bad season, you
can evaluate young players...and look for the rays of hope out there. I tell
ya, followers, it is not a hopeful place.....Chargerville. There is just next
to nothing to get excited about. Losing 31-7 at home to a 4-8 team is bad
enough. Doing it in such a way that the stadium is completely empty by the
start of the 4th quarter is pretty amazing. We knew the season was
lost a number of weeks ago...and now I think we know that the locker room is
lost too. It is still just crazy to
contemplate that we beat the Steelers last week. Not sure how that happened with this offense.
Anyway, a couple of factoids:
·
A total of 164 total yards of offense. Six more
sacks given up.
·
31-0 at one point, and the Chargers had run two
plays on the Carolina end of the field.
·
Ryan Mathews breaks his “other” clavicle and is
done for the year. This, after 4 carries for 22 yards. Ryan had 1 touchdown this year. 1! Former
Chargers Mike Tolbert, Darren Sproles, Michael Turner, and, yes, even Jake
Hester each have more than that. I am not being dramatic at all when I say that
Ryan was supposed to replace or supplant all of those players (oh yeah, and
LT!).
·
Philip Rivers fumbles the ball 4 more times,
losing two of them. Mr. Rivers leads the League in turnovers for the second
consecutive year...I think the number is 46 turnovers in the past two years.
·
“Star” performers such as Antonio Gates, Malcom
Floyd, Meacham, invisible for most of the day. At least Gates caught a TD and
has a Charger record, such as it is.
·
“Exciting” young players like Melvin Ingram,
Larry English, etc. largely irrelevant.
We are just going to ride out
these last few games now. With all the guys hurt, and all the guys out for the
year, why risk anyone now? Why not sit
Rivers and let Charlie “Clipboard Jesus” Whitehurst have a shot? Why not sit
Gates and let Ladarius Green take some lumps? I think they could suit up
Natrone Means and he would do just as well as our 4th string running
back, or wherever we will be at that position. We play the Jets and the Raiders
and the only good thing that can happen now are two losses that get us a better
drafting position.
Like I said, there is nothing
else to really talk about. I could berate the entire team and management for
another few paragraphs, but there is not much point. I could pontificate about
who the next coach might be, but there will be a better time for that. The end
is here for the Bolts....losing record, no playoffs, and, really, no hope. The
guys in that list above are our best guys. The Math don’t lie.
It bothers me that these posts
cannot be more positive. Sports are supposed to provide a release from everyday
life. Something fun and diverting...something that gets your mind off of some
of the darker or harder parts of your life.
This is certainly the way the ANALYSIS views the sports world. So,
despite the passion and outrage that the ANALYSIS sometimes (most of the time) exhibits
while viewing sports, whenever things get a little too upsetting in the Sports
world, it usually just takes a minute to put things back in perspective. That
became oh so evident last Friday. I spent Friday morning with my daughter’s
class and one other class. She is 6 years old and in first grade. I helped herd
about 60 kids down to a holiday showing of the “Nutcracker”, about ½ mile down
the street from her school. The kids
were excited; excited to go for a walk, excited to hold hands with their
friends, excited that some of their parents were there, excited that they were
going to see a play, excited about seeing Christmas lights in somebody’s yard,
excited to see a cat in someone’s garage. I got home from that experience to see the
news from Connecticut. It has been difficult to watch and read the coverage
ever since, as I’m sure it has been for all of you. I am not going to go
political here...speaking of gun control, mental illness, or the state of our
national media. I just keep thinking of the simple excitement of a first
grader. And that puts everything in perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.